What we do after a disaster

May 30, 2017
I felt wild joy when I landed in Moscow. Granted, Katya had told me that she would be waiting for me with Lenten pirozhki, so I assumed it was Wednesday and stoically refrained from snack and breakfast on the plane. Only when we sat down to eat buckwheat around 3pm, did we realize
 it was actually Tuesday.
On Monday, a hurricane had torn through Moscow, tragically killing 16 people. Tuesday was the first velvety spring day in a long while, and the felled trees made Moscow green, fresh and solitary, like a village; it's as though the forest is taking over its own. 
This is two stops away from the Kremlin:

But thankfully, workers were hard at work clearing up the debris. (Can you see him?)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dostoevsky's Dazzling Drafts: Windows into a Labyrinthine Writing Process

What's in a (Russian) Kiss?

Russian Lady wins her window seat